Monday, February 13, 2017

2017 02/13 "Thank you, Mr. Gardener..."

H E L L O
This week was sooooooooooo good. As usual. 
The meth story is a classic and that's going to be a highlight in the mission journal FOR SURE. The guy was super high and dropped the meth on the ground, went across the street to tell his friend to help him pick it up, but then Sister Bain accidentally walked all over it thinking it was ice (hahaha). The Police said they'd been watching him for a couple days but thanks to the Sister missionaries being inspired to walk down that street, they got the proof they needed when he started yelling at me. We gave one of the police officers a pass-a-long card so it wasn't all bad. And my shoes are clean now so yay. 

THANK YOU for the Valentine's day packages! You cuties. I love you all xoxo  

I WAS AT THE FIRESIDE LAST NIGHT THAT KIM AND BRI WENT TO. I was leaving the church and like 5 companionship's told me "Hey we saw your aunt again. And your cousin! Did you see them?" I'm convinced Kim has met every missionary on the island except for my companion 😂 ONE DAY I'M GOING TO SEE THEM. (Hopefully when grandma and grandpa are in Jersey!!) 

My new companion is Sister Jacobsen and I. LOVE. HER. She's just like Sister Sam who is bascially one of my all-time favorite people. Sister Jacobsen is so so sweet and we're always laughing. I'm super super grateful for her and all that I've learned from her in just 1 week! #CompGoals This area is going to see MIRACLES with Sister Jacobsen here!! 

Something I've been thinking a lot about this week is God's plan. His plan is PERFECT. I know that! God's plan is designed to bring us JOY- joy that is eternal. Part of God's plan for each of us is go through trials and humbling experiences because that's when we grow. We watched a Mormon Message the other day called "The Will of God" (one that I would HIGHLY recommend). It's an excerpt from a talk given by Elder Christofferson and he talks about accepting and embracing correction. He tells a story that I'm going to copy and paste for you to read because I LOVE IT and I hope you can relate it to your own lives.
•••
President Hugh B. Brown, formerly a member of the Twelve and a counselor in the First Presidency, provided a personal experience. He told of purchasing a rundown farm in Canada many years ago. As he went about cleaning up and repairing his property, he came across a currant bush that had grown over six feet (1.8 m) high and was yielding no berries, so he pruned it back drastically, leaving only small stumps. Then he saw a drop like a tear on the top of each of these little stumps, as if the currant bush were crying, and thought he heard it say:
“How could you do this to me? I was making such wonderful growth. … And now you have cut me down. Every plant in the garden will look down on me. … How could you do this to me? I thought you were the gardener here.”
President Brown replied, “Look, little currant bush, I am the gardener here, and I know what I want you to be. I didn’t intend you to be a fruit tree or a shade tree. I want you to be a currant bush, and someday, little currant bush, when you are laden with fruit, you are going to say, ‘Thank you, Mr. Gardener, for loving me enough to cut me down.’”
Years later, President Brown was a field officer in the Canadian Army serving in England. When a superior officer became a battle casualty, President Brown was in line to be promoted to general, and he was summoned to London. But even though he was fully qualified for the promotion, it was denied him because he was a Mormon. The commanding general said in essence, “You deserve the appointment, but I cannot give it to you.” What President Brown had spent 10 years hoping, praying, and preparing for slipped through his fingers in that moment because of blatant discrimination. Continuing his story, President Brown remembered:
“I got on the train and started back … with a broken heart, with bitterness in my soul. … When I got to my tent, … I threw my cap on the cot. I clenched my fists, and I shook them at heaven. I said, ‘How could you do this to me, God? I have done everything I could do to measure up. There is nothing that I could have done—that I should have done—that I haven’t done. How could you do this to me?’ I was as bitter as gall.
“And then I heard a voice, and I recognized the tone of this voice. It was my own voice, and the voice said, ‘I am the gardener here. I know what I want you to do.’ The bitterness went out of my soul, and I fell on my knees by the cot to ask forgiveness for my ungratefulness. …
“… And now, almost 50 years later, I look up to [God] and say, ‘Thank you, Mr. Gardener, for cutting me down, for loving me enough to hurt me."
•••

All these thoughts might be a little scattered sorryyyyyyyyy 😂

When I hear this story or read it again and again, I always think about humility. I've learned that humility is one personality trait that if you think you have it, you don't. I think humility comes a little at a time when Heavenly Father puts us through a "refiners fire". Manhattan has been my refiners fire. While I've been in this CRAZY city, I've learned that my way is definitely not the right way. But HIS way is what brings blessings and happiness-- even when it's hard. Sometimes I'd rather be the fruit tree or the shade tree. But Heavenly Father has created me, Sister Bain, to be a currant bush. God is the gardener here and He knows what He wants us to be, what He needs us to be, and what we can become with His help and with the Atonement of Jesus Christ. As we are put through our own refiners fire, we see the need for our Savior Jesus Christ and we're humbled a little more each time. Accepting God's will IS NOT EASY. If it were easy we wouldn't grow and progress. What would be the point? I know that God is loving. I know that He knows each of us as individuals and I know that He loves us more than we can comprehend. I've felt His love over and over again and the times when I feel it most are the times when I've needed some correction. I know He loves me enough to cut me down so that I can grow closer to Him

I love being in Manhattan. There are some REALLY good people here. Marvin is doing really well. At church yesterday he said "Sisters, God is answering my prayers. Today was a good day." Sister Jacobsen and I could have started crying right then and there. He's getting there!! Millie is good. We've given her a little space because she doesn't want to come to church until the weather gets warmer. But! She loves the Book of Mormon! 

Anyway. We were true New Yorkers and went to the Met today. It's cool. I like it here.

I hope you all have a good week and a Happy Valentine's Day! Remember, God loves you. 

I love you!! ❤❤❤

Love always,
Sister Bain 🍍

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." 

--John 3:16 
Sister Jacobsen

Sister Jacobsen

Sister Jacobsen

Sister Evans, Bain, Jacobesen, and Larsen

Snow and the Skyline

No comments:

Post a Comment