Thursday, July 21, 2016

2016 07-20 - Fireflies

Hey fam! <3
Happy Wednesday! I feel like I've been here for forever. It's only been one week, BUT it's been such a good week! I LOVE CONNECTICUT. I'm still not over the fact that there are trees EVERYWHERE and that it's all so green and beautiful and wonderful and I love it. WOW. The only thing I don't like about CT is that there aren't any turn lanes or sidewalks. The roads are a mess because people have to sit in the middle of the road waiting to turn BECAUSE NOBODY THOUGHT TO GIVE CONNECTICUT TURN LANES. I didn't know that not having turn lanes would make me so crazy.

I'm serving in the Stamford Zone, Sister Sam and I am in the Darien Ward and we live in Norwalk. It's a good time! We tract in the W's a lot-- Google "Darien, Connecticut" sometime and see what the houses look like in Wilton, Weston, and Westport. You'll die a little inside because it's so beautiful. The Darien Ward is AMAZING. These members are so faithful and they love helping the missionaries! They give us referrals all the time and they also give us water whenever they see us outside. BOTTLED WATER IS A GIFT FROM HEAVEN. The water here is no bueno. I miss my White City water. I'm pretty sure I cried about it a little bit the other day because I just wanted ice cold water from Sandy. But it's fine. I'm over it now. Bottled water is fine. I got to meet all the members in this area on Sunday at church. I was also asked to give the opening prayer in Sacrament Meeting so that was cool. There are 280 attending members on Sundays! And they are all so awesome. Just a side note- FEED THE MISSIONARIES whenever you get the chance. The Darien Ward is a sister missionary ward FOR SURE. They're so good about feeding us. But, Elders need food and love too, okay. Just remember that. :)

DAD, You'll never believe this. We had a dinner appointment on Thursday with the Cameron family. They're super nice and they argued about the presidential campaign for 95% of the dinner (HAHAHA) but we walk in and Sister Cameron says "Hi Sister Bain! I hope you like salmon!" Sister Sam and I looked at each other and I had to do everything that I could not to bust out laughing. Earlier that day I had ranted to Sister Sam about how much I hated salmon! (HAHAHA) But, you'll be happy to know that I was a grateful missionary and I ate all the salmon and brussel sprouts that were put on my plate. But then the next day Sister Muray took us to Costco for pizza so that was fine. These dinner appointments are always a surprise. :)

THERE ARE FIREFLIES ALL OVER THE PLACE. I LOVE IT.
It's rained a few times this past week. Everything smells really gross and musty after it rains, but it's cool to drive in this tunnel of trees while it's raining.

Going back to the fireflies, I LOVE THEM. I'll never get over the fireflies.

On Tuesday afternoons, Sister Sam and I go serve at the Waveny Care Center. It's the top care center in the nation for dementia patients. Yesterday, I made a new friend. Her name is Jean. The first thing she said to me was "How many Chinese restaurants does your dad own in Long Island?" Good times. She's just really sassy and it's so great. Sister Sam and I love Waveny!

Something I've learned a lot this week is to be more grateful for the little things. It's been SO hot lately, but yesterday it was only 80 degrees and there was a slight breeze all day. Sister Sam and I literally stopped in the middle of the road (after checking for cars obviously) and said a prayer of gratitude to Heavenly Father for giving us a nice, cool day. Just that little breeze made our day. There's no such thing as a "little miracle" or a "small tender mercy". All those miracles and tender mercies are a BIG DEAL! Those are ways that Heavenly Father shows us He's there. So, be grateful and live in Thanksgiving daily. :)

I'm sure there's a ton of other things I wanted to say, but I'll just read my journal to you sometime I guess. :) I just love being a missionary here in Connecticut. It's no easy task, but it's been worth it and the blessings I've seen since being here hold a very special place in my heart. THANK YOU for all your love. THANK YOU for all your support. And THANK YOU for building my faith and raising me in a home where the gospel of Jesus Christ is taught.

I love you so much!

#RepentanceIsCool
#MissionsAreCool
#SisterSamIsCool


Love always,
Sister Bain

The Book of Mormon - Another Testament of Jesus Christ


Selfie smile with Sister Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment