Tuesday, March 7, 2017

2017 03/06 "I know that there is power in writing things down"

Hi again! 
I'm glad Makail had a fun birthday!! How in the world is she already 23? She's soooooo old.

Fun fact: We were walking down the street and Sister Jacobsen stopped and said "your high school killed my high school in the state championship our sophomore year. I am still so mad about that." 😂😂😂 I DIED. *I'm probably the only one that thinks this story is funny but pity laughs are always accepted and also always appreciated...* 

I finished my study journal that I started in August and it's been so fun to read the things that I was learning at the beginning of my time in Connecticut and in the city. Some of those things I'm still learning and some of those things have turned into strengths. I know that there is power in writing things down and also pondering those things that the spirit is teaching us! Look back and REMEMBER the spiritual experiences you've been blessed with!! I love what Hanna said about how journaling strengthens our faith! I know that that's true!! 

MIRACLE: I was looking through our AreaBook and I found a record of a guy that the sisters had met on the train in November AND NEVER FOLLOWED UP WITH HIM. (WHYYYYYYYY THEY DIDN'T FOLLOW UP??? I. DON'T. KNOW.) ANYWAY, we called him to see if he was still interested and when he answered he said "Sisters! Why the heck are you just barely calling me???" (Yeah, I thought the same thing. It's fine.) So we set up an appointment with him!! We met with him on Saturday night and it was WONDERFUL. The youth were having their camp/activity fundraiser gala thing that night so the church was PACKED and there were people everywhere and crazy kids literally running around EVERYWHERE. It was an actual nightmare. We couldn't use the 3rd floor because the flood of people, the 2nd floor of the church didn't have enough people coming and going so that left the first floor for us to have our lesson. Jokes on us. The 1st floor was where everyone was getting their tickets so it was CRAZY. Miracle---- Elder and Sister Adams in the family history library said we could use the room when they went home. YAY!! They saved us. And so 6:00 came and Dieudonne (our investigstor) didn't come. COOL. But no worries. He came at 6:30 haha. Dieudonne is so prepared. He's a refugee from Africa and has such a BIG heart. His parents were killed when he was really young in a war that happened in his town. Since the time he was about 8 he raised his 2 younger sisters. He came to New York about 6 years ago to go to school and find a better life. He was telling us that adjusting to the city has been really hard and he's been searching for peace. He doesn't like that he sees so many couple fighting and he doesn't understand why they live together before their married. He was telling us that he really wanted to have a family of his own-- because he grew up without parents. It really pulled on our heart strings because both Sister Jacobsen and I grew up with INCREDIBLE parents and families; something we'll never take for granted anymore. It was amazing to see how the Lord has prepared him to hear the restored gospel. Sister Jacobsen and I didn't say much the whole hour. The spirit told both of us to just sit back and listen and just to love him and really care about him. I really just wanted to cry the whole time because my heart hurt for him and because I realized how truly blessed I am. At the end, I offered the prayer and the Spirit just overwhelmed me. He looked up at us after, with tears in his eyes, and said "why do you care about me so much? Why did you just sit here and listen to me? Nobody has ever done that for me and I can't thank you enough. I feel so much love." Sister Jacobsen and I looked at each other and we both had the biggest smiles on our faces. 

When people ask me to tell them about cool experiences I've had as a missionary, I could tell them about cool miracles I've seen or crazy things I've done (like walking in meth) but in reality, the best part about being a missionary is feeling God's love for others. It's hard to explain in words, but the love I feel for people on New York City is far beyond my own ability. I know that it's our Heavenly Father's love. And it's INCREDIBLE. I know God's love is REAL. I've felt it in my own life. His love is personal, His love is infinite, and His love will always be there-- no matter what❤❤❤ On that note, I love you all SO MUCH. And I know that our Heavenly Father loves you even more than that!!😚✌

So, have a good week and remember that your favorite sister missionary is thinking about you and praying for you! 

Love always,
Sister Bain 🍍


Ps. I miss dad a lot because I said the word "hip" yesterday in a sentence. I said "wow, that's so hip." And then I bascially died of laughter. I love ya, dad!!❤❤❤


PPs. The 9-11 Museum was INCREDIBLE. It was interesting because there weren't any kids running around, everyone was so quiet the whole time, and it had a very somber and heavy feeling. I really do believe that it's sacred ground. You bet I cried. When the Bain fam comes back to NYC, we're going there. FOR. SURE. And I have a feeling you're all going to cry too. 


Ground Zero - Last Slab






Ground Zero






It's all about family.
Sister Eskimo Bain

Zone Conference

No comments:

Post a Comment