Monday, March 13, 2017

2017 03/13 "One Year ago..."

H E L L O 🌻
I'm taking my companion to the Museum of Natural History today. I'm. STOKED. 😂

On March 12th, 2016 (1 YEAR FROM YESTERDAY) I got a text from mom saying that my mission call was sitting on my bed waiting for me. 1 year ago, I was called to serve in the New York New York North Mission with President and Sister Smith. HOW GRATEFUL I AM FOR THIS WONDERFUL CALLING. I've reflected on the past year a lot this weekend and as much as Satan tells me otherwise, I've accomplished a lot. And I've CHANGED. Man, oh man, have I changed. And I'm so grateful for those changes that my Heavenly Father and Savior have helped me make. In 1 year, I finished my first year of college, I went through the temple, I met new friends (a lot of them are here serving with me and one is my COMPANION), I turned 19 years old. I struggled-- leaving home for 18 months is no easy task. And, I was still questioning whether or not I really wanted to go on a mission. But! Now I'm here in New York City and I couldn't think of a happier place. In the last (almost) 9 months, I've come to know my Savior. I've gained a real testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith, I KNOW the Book of Mormon is true. I've learned how to plan for my day and make the best use of my time. I've learned how to study the scriptures. I've learned how to communicate with others. I've learned how to repent and WHY we need to repent DAILY. I've learned that I can overcome anything because I have the Savior and Redeemer of the world by my side. I've seen INCREDIBLE miracles. I've met people that have changed my life. I've seen myself develop a deeper passion for playing the piano and a greater love for the sacred hymns. I've missed my sweet little brothers A WHOLE LOT. I've seen my family change and grow. I've seen our family relationships be strengthened through the gospel of Jesus Christ. I KNOW that Thomas S. Monson is a prophet of God with restored priesthood power. I've had sacred experiences that I couldn't have had any other place or any other time. I've overcome weakness, found new ones, developed new skills and new strengths. I've made spiritual goals that will help me create a gospel centered home. I now know of the importance of WEEKLY church attendance. I've seen the sacrament become personal to ME. I've become more and more grateful for mom teaching me the importance of modesty. I love life more. I smile more. I'm happier. I have found REAL joy in the gospel of Jesus Christ. I couldn't have learned any of these things if I wasn't here in the New York New York North Mission. I'm grateful that Mom and Dad had so much patience with me and helped me get here.

I love you all so much and I'm ALWAYS praying for you. 🗽🌃🌉🍎🚕

Gordon B. Hinckley:
"I was touched … by the heartbreaking statement of a young missionary. He said, “I have been here for months. I can’t learn the language. I dislike the people. I am depressed by day and weep at night. I wanted to die. I wrote my mother and pleaded for an excuse to return home. I have her reply. She says: ‘We’re praying for you. There is not a day passes that all of us do not kneel together in the morning before we eat and in the evening before we retire and plead with the Lord for his blessing upon you. We have added fasting to our prayer, and when your younger brothers and sisters pray they say, “Heavenly Father, bless Johnny … and help him to learn the language and do the work he was called to do.”
This young man then went on to say through his tears, “I will try again. I will add my prayers to theirs and my fasting to their fasting.”
Now, four months later, I have a letter from him in which he says, “A miracle has happened. The language has come to me as a gift from the Lord. I have learned to love the people in this beautiful land. God be thanked for the prayers of my family.”

Be bold. Be courageous. Be honest. Be truthful.
Love always,
Sister Bain 🍍


No comments:

Post a Comment